Some Solar Energy Facts
- Electricians Plus Designs, Supplies and Installs Solar Energy Systems on the Gold Coast
- On an average, per square metre solar radiation availability in Australia is the highest in the world.
- The biggest solar plant in Australia has a capacity of 3MW and is located at Liddel in New South Wales. The plant uses modern thermal concentrators.
- The University of Queenslandís St. Lucia Campus has Australiaís largest photovoltaic power plant with an installed capacity of 1.2 MW.
- The Australian government has also projected a 20% replacement of the total energy consumption with solar power by the year 2020.
- Approximately 9.6% of total electricity consumption in Australia was contributed by renewable energy sources compared to an 8.7% in the previous year.
- Electricity prices have increased by more than 30% in the last four years in Australia. More people are looking at cheaper, renewable sources of energy in the longer term.
- The CECís List of Accredited Designers/Installers has more than 4000 entries now. This growth is six times of what it was three years ago.
- By the year 2020, 4% to 7% of the Australian household energy bill will be due to renewable energy.
- More than 6% of Australian households have solar power systems.
- The number of houses with solar panels has increased 35 times in the last three years.
- The cost of solar power is on a downward trend and is expected to cost as much as conventional electricity nearing 2015.
- The annual capacity of solar power installed in Australia approximately equals 540 MW with the largest installed capacity in New South Wales.
- There is enough roof space area available in Australia to meet the continentís electricity demand through solar power.
- Solar energy can form the continentís largest energy source if harnessed effectively.
- Solar energy falling on Australia is approximately 15,000 times more than the energy consumption of the continent.
The Australian energy demand is expected to increase as much as 50% by the year 2020. The estimated energy investment to cater to this projected growth is a staggering $37 billion. This is likely to degrade the living standards in terms of the amount of emissions. The key to managing this challenge effectively is to tap the abundant renewable solar energy that is available in the country.
The benefits of using solar energy
- It is a clean source of energy and is becoming more affordable.
- Solar energy avoids depletion of natural resources.
- Poisonous gas emissions are greatly reduced when solar energy is used.
- Solar energy usage reduces import of fossil fuels.
- It also reduces dependence on nuclear energy.
- Water consumption is greatly reduced by changing over to solar energy.
- There is no waste generation when solar power is used.
- It does not cause any noise pollution.
- As no pollutants are generated, costs involved in complying with environmental regulations can be avoided.
- Solar energy helps to improve the rural economy.